[haiku] Re: Package Manager:

  • From: Sean Collins <smc.collins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 May 2012 14:31:52 +0000

Charlie Clark wrote:
Hi,

I really don't like the way this conversation going.

Thats a choice your making
The conflation of "you" with the "user community" is, at best, unfortunate. Similarly the recent parallel drawn between donor and investor. It is important not to raise expectations artificially. Donations to the project have been fantastic and have enabled some developers to do small amounts of work but at well below market rates. But the *vast* majority of code has been done by people in their spare time.

I am not conflating anything, maybe get out in the user community, read some of the commentary from users and third party devs.

I'm not a little proud to say that the BeGeistert coding sprints, where developers pay for the privilege of devoting their free time to program have been very important over the last few years. This has, at times, led developers to devote two whole weeks a year to Haiku!

I appreciate your efforts as do many others. But lets be honest, BG has been scaled back this year from years previous. the HSA has indicated either a lack of funding or interest for the reduction in BG events

It is one of principles of open source. This, and the relationship of money and open source, are frequent topics around open source. I recommend Stormy Peters of Mozilla presention: "Would you do it again for free?"
http://stormyscorner.com/would-you-do-it-again-for-free

I am asking the developers what they would need from the community to get this OS to R1, and the conversation to that end will invariably include monetary compensation, unless we all start living in communist social systems. People need to eat.

What are the grounds for this assumption? Ingo's responses on this mailing list?

Well, what other assumption is there to be made ? there is only one developer working on PM

The theory of the need for software testing is well understood. As are the limits of such testing and the time that can be devoted to it. It is generally considered to be impossible to develop bug-free software which is probably why software manufacturers don't get hit under unlimited liability claims *all* the time.

It is impossible to develop bug free anything.

Haiku's unit test coverage is currently quite low; this is certainly not helped by the amount of boilerplate that has to go into writing and running them. Integration tests with real hardware are even lower. It's actually close to a miracle that any of it works. Haiku has no formal quality assurance, this is probably the one area where a commercial approach, which would in theory provide resources for this, would be an advantage. Though anyone with experience of the software industry is replete with anecdotes of poor approaches to testing by management and investors.

Charlie
The question is what kinds, types and amounts of resources will it take to bring Haiku to R1 ?

Sean