[haiku] Re: Package Manager:

  • From: Sean Collins <smc.collins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 May 2012 03:22:39 +0000

Sean Healy wrote:

Just to give you an idea, I am currently a contractor and I need $50/hr just to get by. That assumes I have steady work, so I don't spend a lot of unpaid time searching for new jobs. After paying self-employment taxes and paying for my own insurance, I get about the same after taxes as if I were making $52,000 a year with benefits.

For those who don't know, in most cities in the US, $52,000 is not a very high annual salary. In the current economy, as an independent not affiliated with a consulting firm, I'm not getting even that minimum, and a couple of weeks ago I began looking for regular employment. (And the consulting firm I looked into was only offering $35/hr, so apparently they're having trouble in this economy as well.)

$50/hr translates to $8000/month (assuming 160 hours per month).

The contracts listed at http://www.haiku-inc.org/funded-development.html paid:

$18.1875/hr = $2910/mo
$16.3875/hr = $2622/mo
$12.5000/hr = $2000/mo (x3)
$06.2500/hr = $1000/mo
$14.0000/hr = $2240/mo

So as you can see, a contractor couldn't really live on those rates. These guys aren't doing this for the money.

And even if Haiku were paying at that level, as I mentioned before, it's just not a safe bet to abandon regular employment for a contract that will end when the product ships.

Thank you, so you think a software developer will want to contract at 50hrly give or take ?

Sean