[haiku] Re: Package Manager:

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 May 2012 15:09:30 +0200

On 2012-05-25 at 01:09:22 [+0200], Sean Collins <smc.collins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Ingo Weinhold wrote:
>   Whats that work out to at 68 eur/hr annually ? I am not terrifically
> familiar with the european workplace average hours weekly etc and or how
> billing and contract work are handled on your side of the ocean.

I am not familiar with European workplace hours either -- AFAIK they vary --
for Germany it's typically 40 h/week, so about 160 h/month (averaging in
public holidays). But I believe the previous contracts had been for a fixed
number of hours anyway, so it doesn't really matter how many hours per week
or month one works.

> What
> would be nice to know is, whats the real cost to hire a high caliber,
> competent developer or 2 to finish Haiku up into a usable State as a
> release ? How many developers and what amount of time ? just having a
> non defined target makes it very difficult to raise funds.

One of the problems is that even estimating how much time reaching a goal
takes gets the more complicated the larger the task. Furthermore something
like "finish up Haiku into a usable state" is extremely fuzzy. Even if you
define a fixed set of tickets that this task encompasses, it would contain a
good deal of bugs that may be hard to reproduce and track down.

> If you went
> to the community and stated.
>
> a proposal as such all names chosen for demonstration purposes only.
>
> To Hire Axel, Ingo and Alex for a term of 6 months to reach milestone
> R1, it would cost 260,000 usd, you might find theres a serious
> willingness at the community level to give that level of funding. But
> right now theres a very unfocused effort to raise funds and appropriate
> developers and Zero timeline to achieve any goals. It hard to get people
> to donate money when they

The should probably best be answered by Haiku, Inc., but anyway ...

> A. don't understand the funding allocations

So far, at least for contracts, I believe every contract proposal has been
accepted and funded.

> B. don't see tangiable progress of milestone reached

I don't know which milestone you refer to, but e.g. the work on WebPositive
has certainly resulted in tangible results. The work on package management
isn't included in the main repository yet (and won't be until it is more or
less done), but there has been quite a bit of progress (you can check out the
branch and test a fully packaged system). All other contracts have resulted
in significant progress es well.

> C. don't see completion of previous contracts.

To my knowledge all contracts save Michael's recent one (who had to step back
due to health/personal issues AFAIK) have been completed. Most of them have
been documented by blog posts.

> Please don't take these as criticisms, I am simply trying to represent
> the view point of the donors

Criticism is fine. If there are (perceived) communication issues, they should
be addressed.

CU, Ingo