[openbeos] Re: PPC versions

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2002 19:24:13 CEST (+0200)

Responding to Marcus Overhagen:

> Another issue is the decision of the naming of all variables in a
> class.
> I think it was decided to prefix all with an f, thats not bad, as
> long as no one
> currently using BeOs also has the same variable name in a derived
> class.
> I think this risk is acceptable, but probably another prefix like _f
> would be
> better.

That's a good point, although it would "only" affect source
compatibility, not binary compatibility - not nice but simply solvable.

> The same thing is with endianness issues. If you read an int32 from a
> file,

No, that's definitely not the same! The first prevents compiling which
is unfortunate but easily fixable, the latter prevents the application
from working correctly which is much harder to find and fix.
I would not make it a requirement to add the _EXPORT label to every
exported class, but I would make it a requirement to be endian aware,
no matter if it's currently planned to support different platforms or
not. Fixing such problems really creates much of unneeded work.

Adios...
   Axel.