[openbeos] Re: PPC versions

  • From: "Donovan Schulteis" <deej@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2002 04:47:05 -0400

> With all due respect, I fail to see the problem with a PPC port.

There is no problem.  Michael just wants the OBOS team to focus on
_one_ platform at this point and time.  Sure, there are some
working "outside" OBOS to make sure PPC happens, but one working
platform is better than nothing, and thus, Michael focuses on x86.  No
one has ruled out that PPC, or even Sparc or Alpha, ports will happen,
but in due time.  [Side, personal, note: however, I thought Nathan's
requests were reasonable to speed up the eventual porting to PPC - but
that's MHO, and only that]

> I do understand that not to many people have PPC machines besides
> Apple Macs and that a few want to run OBOS on their BeBoxen.  Has
> it ever occurred to you that some of us might be eyeing the PPC
> motherboard that Eyetech is producing for the new Amiga computer
> that is coming out.  Personally, I would find it sad if we were

Has it occurred to you that companies might be looking to OBOS for just
the same thing?  ;)  Or that people here might be looking to build a
product around OBOS and those boards?

PPC has some strong support in OBOS, due to its BeBoxen past, and I'm
sure you will see PPC machines running OBOS - sooner, rather than
later, if Nathan's team can do anything about it.  ;)

Deej