[openbeos] Re: PPC versions

  • From: Paolo Pisati <flag@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 17:18:13 +0200

On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 09:33:14PM -0400, Nathan Whitehorn wrote:
> It's not about making things easy. It's about not making things hard.
> The two are very different. It's the same argument as not writing all
> your code in x86 assembler. Writing in C/C++ isn't a good idea because
> it makes a PPC port easier but because it doesn't make a port *harder*.
> Remember the original subject of my e-mail: how not to *actively
> prevent* a ppc port. Not only that, _EXPORT makes code more readable.

I think this problem is generated due to a lack of an official
coding style/guideline <= correct me if i'm wrong...=P

in example, under bsd, we have a man page dedicated only to
the coding guidelines, and it helps to prevent such problem

i know that there's a guideline borrowed from the opentracker
project, but it seems it's not enough.... =P

maybe it's time for a review of it? maybe it's time for an RFC?
an article?

just my .00000000002 cent =)

--

Paolo