[openbeos] Re: PPC versions

  • From: "Nathan Whitehorn" <nathan.whitehorn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 18:17:35 EDT (-0400)

> OK, I'm going to reply here based on a lot of experience with making
> things
> run on a lot of platforms...
>
> Nathan - you're both right and wrong in the same breath.
>
> Basically here's why. If we're going to do this we need to do system
> detection at the start of the build and set ALL the things we need.
> So,
> who's going to write the configure scripts?

Why? I do xplatform builds all the time and have never needed a config
script. Look at MDR.

> Additionally, adding _EXPORT at the start is INCREDIBLY limiting...
> Why not
> have a PUBLIC_EXPORT macro and simply define it correctly for the
> machine?
> Much more flexible and more obvious as well. Oh yeah, that would need
> platform checking and detection, which brings me back to the start of
> my
> email...

Actually, that's what _EXPORT is. It's defined as _declspec(dllexport)
on *platforms that support it* via nothing more exotic than an #if
_MWERKS_
Platform detection is pretty hard, huh?
-Nathan

--
Fortune Cookie Says:

The doctrine of human equality reposes on this: that there is no man
really clever who has not found that he is stupid.
                -- Gilbert K. Chesterson