[openbeos] Re: PPC versions

  • From: Erik Jakowatz <erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 09:26:23 -0700

I would just say that everyone may use _EXPORT if he/she wants to, but he/she doesn't have to.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding everything on this topic, but it seems like we could simply add BeBuild.h to the repository and include it in all of our public headers. All of the exports are done there, so this should be sufficient, no?

Whether it's "right" to export all symbols or not is neither here nor there to me, but one thing is for sure -- the fact that all symbols are exported on x86 has been quite helpful for reimplementation in a number of cases (for me, at least).

Nathan, is there no way to turn off the warning that results from exporting all under mwcc? I assume you're working from the command-line; perhaps you could write a script or small program which would filter out those warnings for you.

Since we will be using GCC (and therefore ELF) moving forward, it doesn't make a lot of sense to expend a lot of energy trying to make mwcc happy for the short period in which it will be the PPC compiler for us. Including BeBuild.h is, however, a pretty painless thing to do.

<shameless plug>
And if you're using the original Be headers like my article on binary compatibility (http://www.cgsoftware.com/erik/IKTeam/BinCompat.html) recommends, then you get BeBuild.h included for free in most cases.
</shameless plug>

;)