[openbeos] Re: PPC versions

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 18:08:26 CEST (+0200)

> OK. This is starting to not go anywhere.

Right, I don't think that any of you can convince the other :)

> _EXPORT is a compiler specific thing.
> It is 7 characters.
> It is not standard C++.
> It is not earthshakingly difficult to type.
> It is (a little bit) more work.
> ELF doesn't require _EXPORT.
> It is useful if you want to port to a non-ELF system.
> It can be used to document what is meant to be external and what is
> not.
> It is used by a number of formats.
> None of them matter to us for the forseeable future, except PEF.
> ELF is implemented everywhere, except Windows and Mac (anyone know
> what OS X uses?)

IIRC it also uses ELF.

> Really. This has wasted more time than any of us can afford. PEF,
> COFF, PE, etc are not realistic targets for OBOS, either now or in the
forseeable future. I am sorry.

Another point is: we chose the compiler, we chose the binary format. We
don't have to switch ever - AFAICT gcc supports almost all CPUs that
are interesting for us now, and it will continue to do so.

And this whole discussion could have been saved if Bjarne Stroustrup
had added a "static" keyword in the sense of C. Since there is nothing
in the language that defines wether or not to export a symbol, I would
say that all exports have to be exported by default, or else you
couldn't do anything useful with C++. Not that I want to start any
other discussion about this.

I would just say that everyone may use _EXPORT if he/she wants to, but
he/she doesn't have to.

Adios...
   Axel.