[openbeos] Re: PPC versions

  • From: "Michael Phipps" <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2002 22:29:44 -0400

>> I don't think that the two compare. Writing in C/C++ makes coding
>> faster, more
>> bug free and easier. Putting _EXPORT in front of some (but not all)
>> of your classes
>> and/or functions makes coding slower.
>
>By how much? Oh yes, hardly anything. If you forget occasionally, some
>minion like me will see the linker error and go back and add it.

OK. This is starting to not go anywhere.
_EXPORT is a compiler specific thing.
It is 7 characters.
It is not standard C++.
It is not earthshakingly difficult to type.
It is (a little bit) more work.
ELF doesn't require _EXPORT.
It is useful if you want to port to a non-ELF system.
It can be used to document what is meant to be external and what is not.
It is used by a number of formats.
None of them matter to us for the forseeable future, except PEF.
ELF is implemented everywhere, except Windows and Mac (anyone know what OS X
uses?)
Since GCC is the one free compiler that we all have, and GCC makes ELF,
focusing on ELF makes sense.
Many/most of the OBOS kits will not be usable on R5's kernel for very much
longer, since we are quickly coming to the few points of impact where there are
kernel issues.
This is not worth arguing over.

Really. This has wasted more time than any of us can afford. PEF, COFF, PE, etc
are not realistic targets for OBOS, either now or in the forseeable future. I
am sorry.