[openbeos] Re: PPC versions

  • From: "Allen Brunson" <brunsona@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2002 19:38:55 -0500

Philippe Houdoin wrote:
>> Good is fine. _EXPORT is not good. It is a platform specific thing.
>
> This kind of *uglyness* could give us platform/compiler independence.
> Not really costly.

Yes, exactly!  It's really ELF that is weird in this respect, exporting
every symbol by default, NOT other platforms like PPC.  I'm used to seeing
_EXPORT or something like it in every shared-library-like thing I've ever
worked on for decades.  If adding a few _EXPORTs here and there to the
source helps PPC people contribute and work on OpenBeOS, I don't see why
anybody should object.

In general, making a codebase work on more than one platform is a good
thing.  It forces you to think about assumptions that would otherwise go
unchallenged.  It might even help shake loose otherwise difficult to find
bugs, like uninitialized variables that just happen to have the proper
starting value on one platform but not on another.

You guys seem to be giving Nathan an extraordinarily hard time about this
awfully trivial thing (and other trivial things), so much so that it would
seem to me that you are in reality indirectly expressing some other beef you
have.  If that's the case you should say whatever it is you're really
thinking instead of resorting to this passive/agressive silliness.