[openbeos] Re: ...PPC...

  • From: "Frank D. Engel, Jr." <fde101@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 08:55:52 -0700 (PDT)

> Further, I'm guessing that for *any* compiler to generate PEF
> obj's (which I figure gcc certainly can), it needs these _EXPORT
> symbols in the code.

According to earlier discussion on this list, gcc can NOT generate PEF
binaries.

> Hmmm... Older macs (iMacs?) have crucial secret stuff hidden in
> their ROMs, correct? Does this include some sort of object image
> loader code that requires the object file format to be PEF?

iMacs are newer Macs, not older ones.

Then yes and no.  Macs explicitly look for the MacOS system software
during bootstrap.  The BeOS worked by running a chainloader during the
MacOS boot process, which would use the MacOS to start the BeOS.

Newer Macs supposedly have a way around this.

=====
=======
Frank D. Engel, Jr.
Please note my new address: fde101@xxxxxxxxx