[openbeos] Re: PCMCIA & Cardbus

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 11:09:55 +0200 CEST

linus@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Would I be correct in guessing that Haiku lacks both a PCMCIA and the
> extended 32bit Cardbus module?

We don't have any support for these right now, yes.

> Anyone working on one? Anyone know if it's similar to PCI?
> PCI isn't even there yet, is it?

PCI is there, just not complete (it doesn't allocate the resources yet,
IOW it's just as incomplete as the one in BeOS).

> Anyways.. I'm developing on a laptop right now.. with a 10mbit
> network
> card.. went out to get a 100mbit card without dongle.. but all the
> stores
> 'round here only have cardbus cards.. so I guess i'll have to either
> order
> a PCMCIA card from somewhere, or dive into development..
>
> But before I do anything, I just wanted to know how much of a
> nightmare
> it would be to write support for cardbus for R5 (and Haiku, later
> on). And
> if the cardbus cards work just like 16bit cards, only 32bit?

I've no idea about that, but I am almost sure you can find some stuff
on the net about this.
It will be easier to support features like hot-plugging in Haiku than
it is in BeOS, but that shouldn't stop you :)

Bye,
   Axel.