[openbeos] Openness/Participation

  • From: Simon Kennedy <stonewolfsoft@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 18:19:28 +0100

Waldemar Kornewald wrote:

The main other thing which I struggled to understand when I was trying to study the source code was exactly where to "find" particular elements of the system,
i.e. it would be helpful if there was a document somewhere which clearly
explained the purpose of each directory in the source hierarchy, i.e. pointers on where to go to look for particular things, and a brief statement of how the compiling gathers this all together. Maybe such a guiding document now does
exist, but back then (2003) it did not.

There's still no description of the source tree, but I think the
basics are rather self-explanatory. The most important folders are
"headers" and "src". In "src" you'll find our servers, kits,
applications, etc. Maybe our documentation team could explain the
details (what are those other folders in "headers", where are the
drivers, what build system do we use, etc.)?
Speaking of being confused by the source code layout would it be possible/useful if we could have a 2 stage build process where the source tree is organized not by the final position of the source files but by their function. For example a graphics driver which has a driver, an accelerant, headers, configuration settings, documentation etc. which currently seems to be spread throughout the tree could all be stored within a single directory and before compilation starts is linked into the final locations.

Regards
Simon Kennedy