[openbeos] Re: Openness (was: Re: donations again)

  • From: "Hugo Santos" <hugosantos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 15:14:21 +0100

Hi Waldemar, all,

 I know Jorge is not on the admin team anymore, and one should
respect each one's decision. However, i think Jorge was a valuable
team member, and i believe i'm not alone here. Whatever points that
lead to his exit should be addressed in one way or another, at least
those with which some of the members of the admin team agree with.

 Leaving inertia to act by its own, will only lead to more people
like Jorge to leave or not get attached to the project at all (like
some people are trying to do). For instance, several different people
have mentioned issues in the donation efforts, and little has been
done since then in that regard. It's like not fixing an overly
reported bug. :-) Fear and uncertainty regarding new people, should be
dropped a bit when there are some willing to actually do the job. Some
extra effort is required, if i may, to put these issues at a point
where it is acceptable and agreeable by most.

 Personally, i also believe that some of the proceedings should be
more transparent, so those meeting summaries are real welcome.

 Hugo

On 5/11/07, Waldemar Kornewald <wkornewald@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Jonas,

On 5/11/07, Jonas Sundström <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I would suggest that we alternate some of the things
> > Michael has to take care of on ie. a monthly basis in
> > our admin group
>
> Is the admin group == the admin team?

Yes.

> With these members:
> "
>     * Michael Phipps  Project Leader
>     * Axel Dörfler  Lead Developer
>
>     * Tyler Akidau
>     * Bruno G. Albuquerque
>     * Stephan Assmus
>     * Stefano Ceccherini
>     * Jérôme Duval
>     * Phil Greenway
>     * Philippe Houdoin
>     * Waldemar Kornewald
>     * Michael Lotz
>     * Jorge G. Mare
>     * Marcus Overhagen
>     * Michael Pfeiffer
>     * Oliver Tappe
>     * Ingo Weinhold
>     * Jon Yoder, a.k.a. DarkWyrm
> "

Basically, yes. Maybe a few more or less. Jorge isn't in the group,
anymore, for example.

> Has anything been done to increase the openness of this
> decision body, such as logging the meetings, or at least publish
> results and decisions?

Jorge once published summaries of the admin logs (with boring talk
stripped ;). It would be nice to have that, again, but nobody seems to
have time to do it. To a large part they're boring dev talk (e.g.,
discussing a bug), but sometimes we also discuss things that should be
stripped (e.g., personal talk).

> Where/how are the admin group discussions carried out?

Nice try. :)
Well, we mostly discuss on a private mailing list and meet in a chat room.

> These are important things as the leadership has to earn the trust
> and investment of time done by the people who are -not- privy to the
> information shared and discussed in this group, regardless whether
> the admin group invests the largest amount of time. Time and money
> is precious and there are a lot of givers in the Haiku community.

We really need more people who do non-development tasks (marketing,
dontaions/money, web shop, etc.). Then, we might have more
time/manpower to post admin meeting summaries. We'll try to find a
solution, but it's difficult without enough manpower.

Bye,
Waldemar Kornewald