[openbeos] Re: Openness

  • From: "Waldemar Kornewald" <wkornewald@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 10:27:10 +0200

On 5/15/07, Shane Moore <Shane.Moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Jonas Sundström wrote:
> "Jorge G. Mare (a.k.a. Koki)" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> what are the rules of engagement,
>
> To get write access to the code store, which interests me more
> than being on the admin team, one has to either submitt some
> brilliant piece of code and stay in the game, or simply clog the
> bug tracker with large enough numbers of bug reports and patches
> so as to hit the administrative bottle-neck. ;)
>
> I've done neither yet, but I'm working on it!

I think this write-access issue, and not knowing how to get it without the
'brilliant piece of code' was the main reason why I did not end up contributing
back when I had much more time (a few years ago), though the recent announcement
of wanting people to help with documentation has re-ignited my hopes of maybe
being able to contribute to Haiku in some small way.

(I have not pursued looking to gain write access for about 2 years.)

First of all: you don't have to write a "brilliant piece of code".
That's nonsense and I think it was meant as a joke. :)
All you need to do is send us a few patches. If someone *seriously*
wants to contribute he will get commit access very quickly. The point
is: we don't give away commit access for free. Simply saying "I want
SVN write access" without having shown that you will actually
contribute won't help.

Seriously, how difficult is it to change a few lines of code, "svn
diff", and send the patch to us? I don't believe that this is a
show-stopper. Anyone claiming this can't be serious about
contributing.

It's the same with non-dev areas. Simon said "I want to help", I
quickly introduced him, and now he's on his way. Again, to get server
access he should first show some progress, but he'll definitely get
access when he has something to show. The problem is that many people
offer help and then disappear (even if I send them a private mail they
don't reply).

If someone on this list wants to help, but has a problem with joining
then *tell it to us*. Send me a private mail if you feel more
comfortable with that. I will take care of it and try to solve all
problems that make it too difficult for you to join. But normally it
doesn't require more than saying "I want to help with ..." and you're
in the game.

Bye,
Waldemar Kornewald