[openbeos] Re: Openness

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 01:19:23 +0200 CEST

Hi Koki,

Sogabe <sogabe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > You start contributing to a project because it interests you, or
> > you
> > share a similar goal. It's clear that nebulous leadership can move
> > people away, but I doubt that's the reason we didn't grow that much
> > in
> > the number of active developers.
> Would you at least be open to the possibility that it may be *one* of
> the reasons? :)

Maybe, but I sincerely doubt that it scared off even a single
contributor.

> > Just take Linux into the comparison - the sheer number of
> > contributors
> > makes it more or less impossible that you have a say. In fact,
> > there is
> > only one person that rules it all - and yet it seems to work quite
> > well
> > for whatever reason.
> Is this a valid comparison? I think Linux (the kernel) has very
> different needs from Haiku (the full fledged OS) relative to what the
> project would need in terms of contributors. No?

They are both just open source projects, sure it's a valid comparison.
Linux is actually a much larger project than Haiku at this point, being
a "full fledged OS" or not.

[...]
> Just to illustrate, I trust that you will make sound decisions about
> the
> Haiku kernel; but my confidence level would drop dramatically if you
> had
> to make a decision about, say, marketing or advocacy (please, don't
> take
> this as a personal offense).

How else am I supposed to understand it with the word "dramatically" in
it?
You don't need to be a marketing expert to make an informed decision
about marketing related questions - or else no political institution
could ever work - but it surely helps to have expert input to be well
informed.
Also, what's good for marketing might not be the best decision in terms
of what the project actually wants to achieve.

Bye,
   Axel.