[openbeos] Re: Openness

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare (a.k.a. Koki)" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 15:54:48 -0700

Hi Axel,

Axel Dörfler wrote:
  In another point, it has been said more than once that the admin
team is made up of developers, but if one looks at the commits lists
for at least the past two years, some of the admin team members have
marginal contributions. [1] An OSS project is very dynamic, and some
people leave, and new people arrive. With all due respect for the
people which have contributed in the past, i don't think that if they
did contribute significantly, for instance 5 years ago, should
continue in the decision-making process now.

I disagree - being part of the admin team shouldn't be determined by code submissions alone, especially not just recent contributions. Every line of code that makes Haiku is important, no matter if it has been written a month or 3 years ago; we're still working on the first release, it's still up-to-date code, and it still makes a significant contribution to R1.

The problem is that you equate conditioning of admin status with lack of recognition. The admin group should not be used as a reward, but as a means to manage the project.

If an admin has not contributed to the project in any tangible way or has been totally disengaged from the project for, say, three years, it is fair to say that there is no practical reason for that person to remain.

I can understand the admins can go through cycles or inactivity, but you have to draw a line somewhere.

Cheers,

Koki