[openbeos] Re: Openness

  • From: "Waldemar Kornewald" <wkornewald@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 18:45:48 +0200

Hi Ryan,

On 5/14/07, Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
1) The members of the CURRENT admin list and their general roles there
should be published. i.e "Michael Phipps, Project Administrator. Axel
Dörfler, Lead Developer."

Almost all members are primarily developers. Only Michael (finance,
Haiku Inc., WalterCon, other non-dev work), Jon/DarkWyrm (primarily
usability? also some dev work), and me (usability, other non-dev work)
are less involved with actual coding.

2) On the same page as the above the current general discussions
and/or decisions in the making should be shown, along with estimated
decision dates. i.e. "We are currently in discussion about Haiku
distributions and the use of the name Haiku in such. We hope to have a
final decision by May 21st, 2007."

I doubt that you'll get lots of exciting updates there. Most of the
time you'll already know via the mailing list what we're working on.
I've added what we're currently working on and I'll try to keep it
updated.

3) The general guidelines for how to get into the admin team should be
published as well. This will vary based on the roles, for example
"Developers will need to have been committing code for X months before
being considered for the admin team. After applying to the admin team
a vote by the current admin team will be used to decide whether the
new developer will be added. Marketers will need some portfolio work
to demonstrate their experience in this area. A vote will be used to
decide if they should be added to the admin team." Etc.

This indeed needs clarification, but we don't really have any rules.
I've extended the admin page as far as I could (in my limited spare
time, *whine* *whine* :).

I hope our devs don't mind.

4) The Haiku, Inc board of directors should also be published. Like
the admin team, their should be some guidelines as to how someone
could join the BOD.

That's something we need to discuss.

6) Some consideration should be made NOW as to the direction of the
project post R1. If this work has already been done by the admin team
(in private), some of it should be published.

I've already started preparing a mission statement and a lightweight
process for planning R2 (maybe Trac can be used), but I haven't sent
it to the admin team because it's far too early.

Bye,
Waldemar Kornewald