[openbeos] Re: Openness

  • From: "Waldemar Kornewald" <wkornewald@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 17:54:49 +0200

On 5/14/07, Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>   A quick point regarding mailing lists, I agree very much with the
> point you make considering SNR, however that shouldn't be a reason to
> keep mailing lists archives closed, unless trade secrets are
> discussed
> in it.

What reason should we have to make them public? What valid interest is
there? It's a private forum for a reason, and it's not just signal-to-
noise ratio; it's also because we can freely discuss everything without
having to worry how it's perceived to the outside world.

I want to add: it's very easy to say or do something that gets
misunderstood by others. On the admin list we can flesh out ideas
before anyone from the community starts thinking that we're going to
do something stupid. We're simply not publishing the process that
leads to the final decision, but we do of course publish the results
to the public. Another example: before we had announced that JMicron
would support us we worked out announcements together with JMicron.
The archives just can't be public for these cases. But in the end we
still announce almost everything (except for personal issues, like
when we say how much we love each other, or when we kindly point out a
big mistake made by someone :).

Bye,
Waldemar Kornewald