[openbeos] OpenSound v4 in BeOS and Haiku updates

  • From: "François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: oss-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2007 22:15:28 +0200 CEST

Greetings,

I finally got OpenSound integrated with our Media Kit.
Here is a screenshot under Haiku:
http://revolf.free.fr/beos/shot_haiku_oss_working.003.png
Here you can see in the node from MediaPlayer sending to the our system
mixer then to the OpenSound media node, and it sending mic input to
SoundRecorder.

There are still some timing issue making it loose buffers sometimes,
but it's usable. Recording works as well, and minimal mixer support.
Record source selection is currently not working well because one has
to select another one to actually unselect the current one, and I
didn't yet find a way to reflect this correctly to the GUI apps, so
they don't update the checkboxes yet.

Here is the full patch against 070717:
http://revolf.free.fr/beos/patches/oss-v4.1test0-070717-beos.diff.txt

One should first build the media node manually as the build process
only zips it without checking.

cd oss-v4.1test0-070717-src-gpl/lib/opensound.media_addon/
make
cd -
mkdir build
cd build
$PWD/../oss-v4.1test0-070717-src-gpl/configure
make build

That should give you a oss-beos-v4.1test-bin.zip

Test binary available at:
http://revolf.free.fr/beos/oss-beos-v4.1test-bin.zip
which should work in both BeOS R5 and Haiku (but make sure your kernel
is from 03 aug or later).
To install just unzip the file to the partition (/boot usually).

I invite you to discover Haiku by visiting our website http://haiku-os.org/
and maybe downloading an image.
Note QEmu and VMWare's es137x emulated cards should be picked up by
OSS, but the test we ran in QEmu at least weren't really succesful,
probably due to the timing issue I talked about. So meanwhile if you
want to test OSS under Haiku you will have more luck on real hardware.

Cheers,
François.