[openbeos] Re: "OpenSoftwareValet"

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 21:10:42 +0100 (MET)

>Even though I'm a professional programmer, when I install software, I
>want it to be PAINLESS and take ZERO effort.  I believe it is the
>Operating System's job to provide THE method for installing and
>uninstalling apps on itself.  For OpenBeOS, I picture a simple and
>elegant install/uninstall app that has two modes.

I would also like to have an automatically created and decent file
structure - just like BeBits categories; so not just all apps in /boot/
apps/, but:
/boot/apps/internet/
/boot/apps/audio/
..

Furthermore, we could have /boot/apps/vendor/ with symlinks to the
installed application of a certain company/developer. Of course I am
not sure what the benefit of this would be :-)

I think you get the idea - I am a bit annoyed to have to organize the
applications in a useful and logical way all by myself.

Adios...
   Axel.