[openbeos] Re: OpenGL

  • From: "Ithamar R. Adema" <ithamar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2001 00:29:23 +0100

>I just downloaded the Mesa-4.0 files to have a look. For OBOS, is the
whole
>point to take those Mesa files and use them to crank out new libGL.so
and
>libbitflinger.so libraries=3F

Sounds like it yeah, although I guess libbitflinger.so (from the top of
my head) would just be optimized blitter routines (bit flingers :)).

>It would be really nice if someone could put together a newsletter
article
>explaining how the above-mentioned shared libs, the app=5Fserver
(including
>the files in /boot/beos/system/add-ons/app=5Fserver (=3F)), the relevant
accelerant,
>and the relevant driver in /boot/beos/system/add-ons/kernel/drivers
folder
>would all come together to yield hardware accelerated OpenGL graphics
on
>OpenBeOS. (Even how it works in s/w rendering mode.)

Well, the driver architecture for the graphics drivers is very well and
detailed explained in example called stored in graphics.zip on Be's
FTP, or /boot/optional/sample-code/drivers/graphics if you have the
optional items installed on BeOS R5 PRO :)

>I'd write this article myself if some experienced folks were willing
to email
>back and forth with me until I understood it...

I only hacked a S3 driver to include support for another card, but hey,
always feel free to mail me :)