[openbeos] Re: OpenGL

  • From: "Michael Phipps" <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2001 12:35:19 -0500

>> > If you go to http://sourceforge.net/projects/mesa3d, it states that Mesa
>> > is under the MIT license.  Quite compatible, no? ;)
>>
>> Ah. My apologies. I have browsed through the source archives a bit
>> of the older releases, and at some point, the license *changed* from
>> GPL to MIT. :)  I can cite that version 2.3 has GPL license listings
>> whereas apparently the newer versions do not. I find this completely
>> amusing.
>
>Isn't it, though? =)  I imagine it probably relates to the fact that
>XFree86 is under MIT as well.

Maybe sanity stuck them. :-) :-) :-)
(sorry, I couldn't resist)

As far as OpenGL, porting Mesa sounds like a great idea.
Honestly, OpenGL is the one area of BeOS that scares me.
Not so much the software render side, but the "real", hardware accelerated
stuff. Everyone that I have ever spoken to who should know says that Jason Samms
is a *great* engineer. And that HWOGL is not really even near done. And that
most
mere mortals will struggle to understand it. What we call, at work, 1%'er code.
Code
one percent of people can successfully work on.

I don't have a great story for HWOGL. We don't need to for a whiile. But I am
keeping
my eyes peeled for someone/several people who are "into" 3d gfx and opengl.
This would be the one place where I really hope that things work out with
BeUnited -
the OpenGL code would be the one piece of BeOS that I would most like to have,
given that sort of a choice.