[openbeos] Re: OpenGL

  • From: DarkWyrm <bpmagic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 16:54:09 -0500

>OpenGL has to be one of the lesser used features of BeOS.  If you use MESA
>to drive an
>OpenGL API even for R1 the number of programs that will be broken would be
>so few as to
>not matter at all.  It seems to make sense to use MESA's code base unless
>someone
>thinks they can truely make an optimized version.
Time for me to open my big mouth. ;) Be Inc. used and ported Mesa to use for
the OpenGL Kit. We have the sources to version 2.3. Granted, it's old, but I
think it's better than starting from scratch. I just never checked them into
the tree or anything because I couldn't get it to build - not because it
doesn't work, but because it needed updated to gcc from Metrowerks and I
wasn't sure what to tweak in the makefiles. We also have a GLUT port with
source, too. I realize that the OpenGL kit is more than just the libraries,
but you need to have them, too. Anyone feel like playing with this stuff?

http://bephotomagic.virtualave.net/openbeos/downloads/Mesa-2.3_src.zip
http://bephotomagic.virtualave.net/openbeos/downloads/glut-3.5.zip

--DarkWyrm