[openbeos] Re: OpenGL

  • From: "Robert Medeiros" <robert.medeiros@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 15:39:01 -0500

> Also, can anyone comment on if/how Mesa might fit into all of this?
> What sort of porting would be required here? (I personally am very
> interested in this area but only have little experience in creating
> toy ogl programs -- and none in any system-level ogl stuff.)
>
> I notice on the Teams area of the site that there's no OpenGL Kit
> listed... Rob, will ogl fall under the Game Kit somehow?

Hi John,

Seems to me that OpenGL is logically something that could fall into our
laps, but probably not until the basic R5 classes are done with, unless
someone joins our team expressly because they have an itch to work on OGL,
or for that matter, OpenAL. They could always do the work under some other
purview, or create a new team, but we'd have to communicate quite a lot in
any case, so it makes sense to do it together.

Personally, I agree with David -  I think it'd be a good idea to port Mesa
(assuming license compatibility) and technical feasibility, but that we
should also have an API that wraps OpenGL so that people can optionally use
a more familiar (Be-like) API. David has made mention of 3DKit, which we can
perhaps rebuild into its former glory, albeit as a part of the game kit
overall, or we can strike out into new territory.

If, by the time the R5 classes are done, no one has looked at OpenGL then
I'll give it a shot myself. <famous last words>After all, how hard could it
be to port Mesa?</famous last words>

:)

Rob