[openbeos] Re: OpenBeOS Source Tree

  • From: Erik Jakowatz <erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2001 12:18:45 -0800

Travis Geiselbrecht wrote:

> Be did not use JAM. Be had a recursive makefile system that was recently
> rewritten to be a single flat makefile with included sub-makefiles.

Ah.  I stand corrected.

> I used jam at a company I worked at for a couple of weeks after Be and I
> hated it. It's pretty good for little projects, but it hides a lot of
> the customization ability of make and was not very intuitive for complex

Make can hardly be considered "intuitive" for *anything*, but I get what
you're saying.

> tasks. On top of that it had some cute messages it would print when
> thinking that really pissed me off.

If they were pissing you off, the messages must not have been cute
enough. ;)

> Anyway, I was not impressed. But it could have been that this company
> was just not using it right.

Then it looks like I need to do more research.  Maybe I'll spend some
time this weekend converting my other gigano project to JAM and see how
that goes ... we've found make + build scripts to be usable, but hardly
optimal.