[openbeos] Re: OpenBeOS Source Tree

  • From: "Travis Geiselbrecht" <geist@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 12:03:58 -0800

Be did not use JAM. Be had a recursive makefile system that was recently
rewritten to be a single flat makefile with included sub-makefiles.

I used jam at a company I worked at for a couple of weeks after Be and I
hated it. It's pretty good for little projects, but it hides a lot of
the customization ability of make and was not very intuitive for complex
tasks. On top of that it had some cute messages it would print when
thinking that really pissed me off.

Anyway, I was not impressed. But it could have been that this company
was just not using it right.

Travis

> The IK Team has been toying with the idea of using JAM
> instead of make.
> Here's a lovely informational URL:

http://www.perforce.com/jam/jam.html

One of the attractive features is that JAM is supposed to be quite easy
to use for large projects: "Jam/MR can build large projects spread
across many directories in one pass, without recursing, tracking the
relationships among all files."

Those who wish to get the full-bore overview should see (apparently a
little dated):

http://www.perforce.com/jam/doc/jam.paper.html

Anyway, seems like a good time to toss the idea out to the group at
large. =)  I recall someone mentioning that Be was using JAM instead of
make (Cedric??).  Perforce also uses it to manage their own build
process -- which, with all the platforms they support, has got to be
pretty crazy.