[openbeos] Re: OpenBeOS Source Tree

  • From: Jeremiah Rogers <jeremiah@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2001 00:42:42 -0500

Hi,
        I'm Jeremiah Rogers, I've been following the project (somewhat) but I
haven't had time to dig in yet. So I guess this is sort of an
introduction. I have varied skills, so I'm not going to get into that...
but about your question:
        I think there are a lot of lessons to be learned from how the mozilla
project handles it's builds, or at least it's source tree. One of the
great things they have is if you check something in that breaks the
tree, they quickly get it outta the tree so that the entire tree won't
be broken while you try and fix it.
        Another really important thing, according to the Joel
Test(http://joelonsoftware.com/stories/storyReader$180), is that the
entire build process be one step. This is important for various reasons,
but mainly because you don't want to accidentally forget something along
the way to shipping a product and then screw something up, plus it
prevents things from becoming tedious, quote:
        "On good teams, there's a single script you can run that does a full
checkout from scratch, rebuilds every line of code, makes the EXEs, in
all their various versions, languages, and #ifdef combinations, creates
the installation package, and creates the final media -- CDROM layout,
download website, whatever."
        Anyways, just some input, I also suggest people read that entire
document
about functional project managment, joel has some very good articles on
his website to read which all seem to make lots of sense as far as real
world software development goes.
        Just some thoughts though, sorry if any of it has already been
mentioned.

--
Jeremiah Rogers
Email:  jeremiah@xxxxxxxx, jeremiahrog@xxxxxxxxx