[openbeos] Re: OpenBeOS Logo ?

  • From: "Michael Phipps" <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 08 May 2003 20:29:54 -0400

:-)
Trust me. The new name, with the logo and theme and all, is by far the best of
any of the choices.
When we ended the name vote a while back, I looked at the winner at I was,
well, so-so with it. It was my third ranked choice.
But now that we have a logo (which is drop dead gorgeous) and a new web design
and all, plus we have had some time to get used to it, well, it really has
grown a great deal on me, in particular. It just seems "right". I just went
back and looked at the other names and, by my feelings now, I think that they
all are no where near as good as what we have.

I spoke with a co-worker who is in marketing. His take on it was that the name
you choose, so long as you don't pick something dumb, doesn't matter. It is a
(fairly) blank slate that you build on. Sure, if you are really lucky, you can
get some sort of free positive association. But so many names don't start that
way. Look at Coca-Cola. As a product name, it is underwhelming, if you have no
history with it. But with the history, it is the most recognized product name
in the world. Look at Ford. Chrysler. Meaningless without context. Dell, Xerox,
Kodak, Polaroid, Asus, etc. All names without any particular value to start
with (i.e. when the company was founded). Their value was all built from the
ground up.

I know that there will be some (small) group of people that will not like the
new name/logo. That is just the nature of people - there is no universal
design. If there was, BeOS would be the most popular OS in the world. ;-) But I
would ask that when we do unveil it, that everyone just sits back for a week or
so and tries really hard to get used to it. We have been OBOS for > 1.5 years.
That is a really large bit of inertia to overcome. But, to be honest, even if
it weren't for the potential trademark issues with our current name (which I
have never heard anything about, one way or the other), I still think that the
new name would be better. I think that if JLG had seen what I have seen (the
new design, etc), he would have chosen this name over BeOS. Yeah, really.

Anyway. Back to the basement.