[openbeos] Re: OpenBeOS Applications

  • From: "unlyrn" <unlyrn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 16:09:20 +1300

> On Wednesday 06 February 2002 15:12, Martin Stubenschrott wrote:
> > no, no, no, no
> >
> > please, no GTK, qt,... support!
> > well we would have some more applications, but I think if we use these
> > libraries, we will end up like linux:
> >
> > NO CONSISTENCY!
> > every program looks different, behaves a little different,..
> >
> > so please don't try to support those linux libraries and programs

Perhaps there could be OBOS 'wrapper' APIs that allow easy porting of apps
using these toolkits, but generate BeOS GUI code?  I agree consistency is
one of the most important things; in terms of usability, but also in terms
of making OBOS 'stand out' from the many *nixen... I'd like to think we have
enough of our own completely native apps, but I don't see the harm in having
native look/feel versions of popular 'other-platform' apps...
For example, IE on MacOS - its definitely IE, but it still feels like you're
using a Mac...