[haiku] Re: OpenBFS - safe to use on BeOS partitions?

  • From: Bruno Albuquerque <bga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 10:11:06 -0200

beos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

after a long time of only testing Haiku every now and then in a VM (and staying
with my beloved R5 install for everyday use), I decided to install Haiku on a
dedicated partition. But before I'd like to know if it is safe to access my
other BFS partitions without the risk of data loss. As there are still some
OpenBFS bugs left (at least #3150 and #3151 which are noted on the Alpha 1
proposals page), I thought it should at least be safe to access my partitions
read-only, i.e. to copy the files that I want to use in Haiku to my Haiku
partition.
So what are your practical experiences regarding data loss from OpenBFS? How
often do these bugs occur? (... shouldn't be that often keeping in mind that
some of you do Haiku development in Haiku :-) )

It has been a while since I last had any problems that I could attribute to OpenBFS. That said, I make a point of only accessing my BeOS partitions in read-only mode until we can be more sure about OpenBFS' stability.

-Bruno