[openbeos] Re: OpenBFS and Zeta

  • From: Francis Parsons <franpar@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2003 17:34:45 -0500

Exact url in the forum ?

Hmm...I'm embarrassed to say that I searched the forums just now for this topic and turned up nothing! I *swear* I did read something about this - possibly a week or so ago? I don't think I could have read this anywhere else, because it was about Zeta and openBFS. Maybe the post was edited/deleted?

Sorry if my reading this was imagined, I'm not trying to troll here. However, it is still a good question to ask: I presume YellowTab *has* tested Zeta with OpenBFS, but does anyone on the OpenBFS team or elsewhere have firsthand knowledge of what they found? If Zeta becomes popular even just in the BeOS community, it would not be a good thing for an incompatibility to exist between OpenBFS and Zeta, and it would be important for such a problem to be fixed as early as possible.

YellowTab obviously has access to OpenBFS, but do any members of the OpenBFS team have access to Zeta? Even if we know OpenBFS does work with Dano, it would be even better to know that it's verified to work with Zeta - since it's not Dano ;-)

--- Francis

> that Zeta is, essentially, an updated Dano (yeah, I know people say it
> is not, but it is, believe-me) and Dano requires all FS add-ons to
<troll>
Zeta is NOT Dano
</troll>
(indeed it's way more up to date than the leaked dano :p)

> support the APM standby mode (wake_vnode() and suspend_vnode() calls).
> OpenBFS does implement both as no-ops (they just return B_OK all the
no requirement here.
That is only require if you want to enable ACPI. But AFAIK even in Dano
not even the original BFS implements those hooks.
APM doesn't need such a thing (it doesn't work anyway... or please raise
the hand if it does work for you :)

ACPI in Dano can be either:
- disabled (default),
- enabled if all drivers supports it (not even sure a single driver
in Dano does),
- enabled and force loading only those drivers that supports it
(tried that once... it paniced coz it couldn't mount /boot :P)

> time). It *DOES* work with Dano (Axel, for instance, uses Dano as his
> main OS) and unless they're alking about something else, it should work
> in Zeta too.

AFAIK think the only reason OBFS isn't in Zeta yet is because it's still
beta (and user's data are to precious aren't they ?).
But it looks it won't stay beta for long :)

François.