[openbeos] Re: OpenBFS and Zeta

  • From: François Revol <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2003 21:03:55 +0100 (CET)

En réponse à "Bruno G. Albuquerque" <bga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> On Sat, 29 Mar 2003 10:12:12 -0500, Francis Parsons said:
>
> > Just a question for the OpenBFS folks: on one of the YellowTab forums
>
> > it
> > was mentioned that Zeta currently has problems working with
> > OpenBFS  volumes.  If I remember correctly, YT said they thought this
>
> > incompatibility would have to be fixed on the OpenBFS side, and want

> > contact the OpenBFS team to fix the problem.
> >
> > Can you comment on the nature of this problem, and have you already
> > been
> > working with YellowTab on this?
>
> I have no idea about what you're talking. :) One thing I do know is
Exact url in the forum ?

> that Zeta is, essentially, an updated Dano (yeah, I know people say it
> is not, but it is, believe-me) and Dano requires all FS add-ons to
<troll>
Zeta is NOT Dano
</troll>
(indeed it's way more up to date than the leaked dano :p)

> support the APM standby mode (wake_vnode() and suspend_vnode() calls).
> OpenBFS does implement both as no-ops (they just return B_OK all the
no requirement here.
That is only require if you want to enable ACPI. But AFAIK even in Dano
not even the original BFS implements those hooks.
APM doesn't need such a thing (it doesn't work anyway... or please raise
the hand if it does work for you :)

ACPI in Dano can be either:
- disabled (default),
- enabled if all drivers supports it (not even sure a single driver
in Dano does),
- enabled and force loading only those drivers that supports it
(tried that once... it paniced coz it couldn't mount /boot :P)

> time). It *DOES* work with Dano (Axel, for instance, uses Dano as his
> main OS) and unless they're alking about something else, it should work
> in Zeta too.

AFAIK think the only reason OBFS isn't in Zeta yet is because it's still
beta (and user's data are to precious aren't they ?).
But it looks it won't stay beta for long :)

François.