[openbeos] Re: Open BeOS

  • From: "Ithamar R. Adema" <ithamar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Eugenia Loli-Queru" <eloli@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2001 22:41:16 +0200

Hi Eugenia,

I'm happy to hear from you, I'm cc-ing this reply to openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
as I get the impression you meant to address this to the whole group....

At 14:38 24-8-2001 -0700, you wrote:
>So, I hear you are trying to recreate BeOS by using NewOS (the kernel of
>NewOS is new and incomplete but it is certainly capable, fast and clean)...
>If I may, I would like to give some advices to speed up the process:

Just want to say I feel happy that you (who spend(s) quite some time with
people with access to the BeOS kernel internals) agree NewOS looks like a
possible base for BeOS-cloning :)

>1. One of the most difficult things to recreate it will be the filesystem. I
>suggest you port SGI's XFS. It is the one that it is very close to BeOS, as
>Dominic who did BFS, has also worked on XFS. It is a ready-made fs, which
>means: less hard drive breaks while testing.

I was thinking of using an existing journalled filesystem already, is there
a reason for prefering XFS over ReiserFS (besides Dominic, which is a good
point :))?

>2. Instead of trying to re-invent the wheel, use QT. No, I don't mean to use
>that horrible and bloated thing called KDE. I am talking about QT itself,
>the Toolkit. QT runs on the framebuffer, it does NOT need X or Windows or
>MacOS. All you need is to setup the VESA mode, and here you go! This means
>that you would be able to have a graphics system in no time where you can on
>top of it port the BeOS API. QT is fast, it even runs on PDAs, and
>especially QT 3.0 comes with features that you would need years and years of
>engineering to implement (like bidirectional writting for example). QT is
>C++ and its API is VERY similar to BeOS, but again, please do not assosiate
>QT with X. It has nothing to do with X, QT is a very modern toolkit made by
>professionals.

Personally I was thinking about something like libart in combination with
freetype, as it is used in GNOME.... But this is all very theoretical for
me, I must say....

>3. Get rid this oh-so-blue background color on your homepage. For God's
>sake, I can't read the text.

LoL, you're not the only one who felt that way :) BTW, it might be more
interesting (and soon linked to http://open-beos.sourceforge.net)  to take
a look at http://www.obedn.com/ which seems to be the new site for the
project...

>4. Setup a mailing list...

This has been already heavily in use, take a look at
//www.freelists.org/archives/openbeos/ for any past issues :)) Would
welcome you aboard, if even only for your insightful suggestions and/or OS
development experience.

>Good luck,
>Eugenia

Thanks, we need all the luck we can get :)))

Regards,

Ithamar.

PS: Please note that we're talking about a phase by phase (module by
module) binary compatible replacement of BeOS, no big: "Here is your BeOS
duplicate, just wrote it last month" unbelievable plan.... :)

Ithamar R. Adema
Information Engineering Associates Ltd
http://www.ieadev.com