[openbeos] Re: On the new Haiku website

  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 09:58:03 +0200 CEST

"Mathew Schofield" <mr.skoe@xxxxxxxxx>:

> > > I would agree. I'm all for the idea mentioned a while ago to use
> > > separate domain for community efforts.
> >
> > A site like haiku-community.net|org would be fine with me, even
> > though
> > a community.haiku-os.org wouldn't look too official to me either.
> > But
> > in the end, I don't really mind that much, I'm a tiny bit in favour
> > of
> > separating them, though.
> >
> > Bye,
> >   Axel.
>
> IMHO, haiku-community.org/net is far too long -- this will just annoy
> people.
> I think something like haiku-users.org/net is better. haiku-users
> could contain
> all of the user stuff like stated, and the haiku-os.org site could be
> more
> professional, as i do see Haiku wanting support from both users and
> big corporations...

While discussing the color of the bike shed, I think it's a good idea
to have it as a sub-domain to the official site; compare
planet.gnome.org et al. Planet has become synonymous to the blog
aggregator, but something short and to the "community" effect is what
I'd like to see.

And, as it's by definition an unofficial site, it doesn't need to be
named exactly for its function. Could be a pun based on something in
Haiku or BeOS. [registrar.haiku-os.org, deskbar.haiku-os.org] for a few
examples. I'm sure someone could come up with something more
interesting.

-- Mikael
"hi i'm 14 and i have a lisp please help!!!  when i try to make
 s-expressions they come out as f-expressions and everybody at school
 laughs at me :("                                          -- unknown