[openbeos] On the new Haiku website

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare (a.k.a. Koki)" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 16:05:06 -0700

Hi,

Being the website an important part of marcom, I would like to work closely with the web team to make the best of it. I actually started writing this message to Waldemar, but then I realized that it would be beneficial to get feedback from others on the list, so here I go.

I still need to get up to speed on many things, but nevertheless would like to make some comments about the new website from what I have seen so far. I realize this is work in progress, so please take these comments as food for thought. The idea behind them is primarily to help us figure out how to best shape our message to what the needs of the project are at this point in time. Note: these comments are not in any particular order of importance or priority; they are just the things that I have noticed so far.

# Focus

From the recent discussion on the Haiku list, it is clear that the primary audience of the project should be developers (at least for the time being). The content and its organization should reflect this focus. If there is no opposition, I will present some specifics in the next few days that could help achieve that focus.

# Separation of official and community maintained content

There is discussion on the list about what to do with forums and community content. Should they be under the haiku-os.org umbrella? Or is it better if they are moved to a different (and distinctive) domain? This questions probably arrive from the concept of making a clear distinction between officially sanctioned information and community maintained content

While I advocate such separation, I am also aware of the benefits of keeping everything under the same roof in terms of brand identity and recognition. It's may be a bit tricky, but I feel that the benefits of keeping community-driven content such as individual's blogs, forums, etc., as well as eventually international chapters of the website (Japanese, Spanish, etc.), under the same domain outweigh the potential downsides.

Creative use of UI and web design combined with the use of subdomains would be enough to provide the distinction that is needed between the two types of content. I would like to discuss this with DarkWyrm to see if we can contribute to the design of the new website to cope with this.

# Future vs. History

What excites/motivates engineers (our primary audience) more? The history of the technology, or the future potential that said technology has? I asked myself these questions in reaction to comments on the list about the absolute need to include our heritage in the “What is Haiku”. Maybe it's me, but among BeOS fans I see a marked tendency to focus on the historic background of the OS. For example, the “What is Haiku” introduction on the new website (http://plonetest.haiku-os.org/introduction) dedicates about 30% to try to describe what Haiku is (one sentence), and then the remaining 70% to a historic background.

While there is nothing inherently wrong with that per se, and as BeOS fans we will always feel strongly about BeOS, from the perspective of generating interest among developers that are outside of the old BeOS community (which is what I think we need, to paraphrase a comment by Jonas Kirilla on OSNews.com), I strongly feel that we need to make a conscious effort to stress the existing merits and the future potential of Haiku. This would also, in the long run, help Haiku develop an identity of its own.

# Being realistic about resources

Several people on this list have given great ideas on what could be done on the website to make it better, such as BFS-like network file system service, collaboration tools, etc.. While it would be cool to have many of these features, we need to be realistic about our resources. It is better to have a site that, while modest, it can be fully maintained, is always up-to-date and provides a consistent message and information that is useful to the audience that we are targeting, rather than a site with a lot of information that may not be up to date (and therefore not useful), due to lack of resources. In other words, let's not bite more than we can chew, and take this one step at a time. :-)

Sorry for the long rant. Feel free to comment, criticize or refute any of the concepts exposed here.

Koki