[haiku] Re: On Window Switching

  • From: Michel Clasquin-Johnson <clasqm@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 08:13:42 +0200

On 10 Nov 2009, at 7:24 AM, Ankur Sethi wrote:

Hi,

I've been meaning to send this email for a while, but I always feared
changing the original BeOS shortcuts might not go down well with most
users since changing muscle-memory can be painful.

I use Windows (work!), Mac OSX, Linux and Haiku, and I am finding myself pressing ALT-C in Windows, CTRL-C in Haiku ... can't we all just get along?

1. Pressing Ctrl+Tab on a modern PC keyboard is painful. You have to
hold down Ctrl with your pinky, then twist your hand so you can get
your middle finger to the Tab key, which gets painful. The second
method involves moving your hand off the home row of the keyboard so
that your thumb shifts from the Spacebar to the Ctrl key, which is
again quite painful.

Painful, no. Inconvenient, though

Command+Tab and Command+` are currently not bound
to any action in most apps, perhaps Twitcher could use those instead
of Ctrl+Tab and Ctrl+`. I know I can use Ctrl+I to switch windows, but
that requires the use of two hands and, IMO, just feels weird.

2. Desktop widgets such as LaunchBox and Workspaces constantly get in
the way when you're switching through a large number of windows. There
could perhaps be a flag you could set on these applications

There is. I'm not on my Haiku box right now, but if you call up Filetype (from Rightclick | Tracker Add-ons) you will see a checkbox to make that app invisible. That should remove it from the Twitcher but also from the Deskbar IIRC. As for Workspaces, why aren't you running it as a desktop replicant? Much more convenient. Switch on Show replicants in the Deskbar and grab the little brown handle that appears on the bottom-right of WS. Drag it to wherever you want it to live on your desktop. You can now close WS and the replicant will stay in place.

Michel Clasquin-Johnson
e-mail: clasqm@xxxxxxxxx
website: http://mysite.mweb.co.za/residents/clasqm/