[haiku] On Window Switching

  • From: Ankur Sethi <get.me.ankur@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 10:54:00 +0530

Hi,

I've been meaning to send this email for a while, but I always feared
changing the original BeOS shortcuts might not go down well with most
users since changing muscle-memory can be painful.

IMO, window switching in Haiku is currently less than optimal. I see
two major problems with it.

1. Pressing Ctrl+Tab on a modern PC keyboard is painful. You have to
hold down Ctrl with your pinky, then twist your hand so you can get
your middle finger to the Tab key, which gets painful. The second
method involves moving your hand off the home row of the keyboard so
that your thumb shifts from the Spacebar to the Ctrl key, which is
again quite painful. Command+Tab and Command+` are currently not bound
to any action in most apps, perhaps Twitcher could use those instead
of Ctrl+Tab and Ctrl+`. I know I can use Ctrl+I to switch windows, but
that requires the use of two hands and, IMO, just feels weird.

2. Desktop widgets such as LaunchBox and Workspaces constantly get in
the way when you're switching through a large number of windows. There
could perhaps be a flag you could set on these applications
(B_GET_OUT_OF_THE_WAY?) to stop them from appearing in the Twitcher.
Either that, or make both these apps 100% keyboard accessible so that
at least switching to them is worthwhile for a heavy keyboard user.

Just my 2 cents :)

--
Salut,
General Maximus