[haiku] Re: Old/missing icons

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 13:26:20 -0400

On Sun, Apr 19, 2009 at 2:32 AM, Humdinger <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I considered opening or attaching this to a ticket, but maybe talented
> artists are better reached by mailing list.
>
> There are a few missing icons:
>
>  * apps: DiskUsage, PoorMan, PackageInstaller

To brainstorm some ideas:

DiskUsage could be fairly similar to the DriveSetup icon it is
currently copying, but with more of a representation of how the disk
usage is displayed. Or it could be a hard drive that is bursting at
the seams from being too full (since that is likely the reason why
someone is running this program :)

PoorMan could simply be a nice vector icon version of the BeOS hobo
icon, or maybe some clever people have other ideas. Maybe a can of
baked beans with a roughly opened top? Though I am not sure how many
people would get that reference.

PackageInstaller could just be a modification of the Expander icon,
maybe with a claw pulling something from the box (like one of those
machines kids use to grab stuffed animals or whatever.) Or it could be
a conveyor belt with a box on it, or maybe a conveyor belt with a box
going into a hole (like at an airport.)

>  * prefs: Touchpad (though, maybe this should be tab-combined with Mouse?)

The icon for this is pretty obvious though I agree maybe it should be
combined with Mouse...

> Concerning icons for servers in /boot/system/servers/:
> Don't you think those beautiful icons like debug_server and mail_daemon are
> a bit wasted here?

Maybe they are a bit wasted here, but I don't know, I really like them
where they are. Having such nice icons for system components just
shows a nice fit and finish that Haiku has over many other operating
systems. Though if maybe some applications arise that could obviously
use those icons we could move them around (like Ingo's new
DebugAnalyzer could use the debug_server icon.)

> Let's save those and have the usual serving hand holding
> a miniature defining icon. The hand from the bluetooth_server looks nice,
> though the index and little finger should be a bit shorter, the ringfinger a
> bit thinner IMO. Can't find the hand icon in the artwork folder, though.

I haven't seen that icon, I guess since the bluetooth_server isn't
installed by default. I guess you have a point with all this, though
as much as we have the legacy and the nostalgia from BeOS for the
"hand" icons for servers, I really like the new icons without the
hands.

> Anyone feeling inspired to have a try?

I may have a go for some of these icons. I welcome any other ideas
that people have for the "concept" for these icons too.

Regards,
Ryan