[haiku] Re: Off-topic: BeOS Messaging Architecture

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 06:56:47 -0700

Hi Chris,

Chris Peel wrote:

> Hello and apologies for the slightly off-topic nature of this post.
>
> I'm developing a message-passing architecture heavily based on the
> BeOS model and I was wondering if anyone has any detailed information
> about how the BeOS' architecture works.  The Be Book (printed version)
> is excellent but it's lacking a few useful diagrams and 'Programming
> the BeOS' doesn't really go deep enough into the bones of the system.
>
> If anyone has any diagrams, notes, articles, etc. on the real guts of
> the messaging system I would be very interested in them.

The Art of BeOS Programming, by Shin-ya Koga, has a full chapter on
messaging. Although the book is in Japanese, Google translate may be of
help (or maybe not?). Here is an archive of the book...

http://www.haiku-os.org/legacy-docs/ArtOfBeOSProgramming/

...and you can find the specific chapter about messaging here:

http://www.haiku-os.org/legacy-docs/ArtOfBeOSProgramming/chapter/chapter08.html#8

HTH,

Jorge