[openbeos] OT Re: Re: Binary compatibility with Linux, and Be OS

  • From: Charlie Clark <charlie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2002 20:21:01 +0100

I think this topic is really better suited to the Glass Elevator. But since
I'm not on that list...

> It's not open source, but there are alternatives. ffmpeg is one example.
>
> There _are_ binary only apps for linux only. But one doesn't run beos to
> run binary-only linux apps. Better effort to replace the binary-only
> linux app w/ a beos-only app rather than to emulate linux. Otherwise, why
> not just use windows?
>
> I think that running linux apps on another OS (OpenBSD, etc) is really
> cool, but it won't help beos as a platform as much as it having its own
> killer apps.
Agreed, though my understanding of things is that linux != linux and a lot
of the compatbility issues are down to the *long* history of Un*x and the
needs for standards like POSIX, TCP/IP, et al. Thanx to some brave fellows
and foresight back at Be, Inc., we've got fairly good POSIX compliance and
a heap of really useful command tools like ssh. It's taken Apple users 20
years to get them and that's only by dropping MacOS in favour of NextSTEP.

So calling something a "linux" application is a bit misleading. Correct me
if I'm wrong isn't one of the great things about the BeOS the API which
means you (programmers) don't have to keep reinventing the wheel. Watching
the attempts of KDE and Gnome to come up with a usable desktop environment
for the Un*x world: consistent implementation of drag and drop being a real
challenge throws a different light on the issue. Do we want to be KDE or
Gnome compatible? You will in future program your GUIs in C and like it!
Not wishing to rubbish the work done by those on either project. The desire
to be Microsoft Windows TM compatible in aesthetics (with all the
associated problems) is obvious. One of the things that really impressed me
about the BeOS and the people behind it was the willingness to learn from
the past and also the courage to break with it; life on the edge.

> Just think about OS/2, though. Way better than windows, it delivered
> things (real multi-tasking) that MS didn't perfect until OS/2 was called
> dead by the digeratti, but that didn't help its adoption.
... on the desktop. It's still running lots of cash machines, airport
systems, McDonalds, UPS, etc. and Deutsche Bank even bribed IBM to do Notes
R5 client for it because that was cheaper than 50,000+ mass migration to NT.
So it found its niche. Like NextSTEP and Amiga and a whole heap.

Let's all help BeOS find it's niche and keep it!