[openbeos] Re: OT; IDE driver source

  • From: "Philippe Houdoin" <philippe.houdoin@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 02:45:51 GMT

> I realize this isn't strictly related to OpenBeOS, but I'm trying to
> get
> R5 up and running so I can contribute, so it sort of is. Basically
> the
> only missing piece for me to run BeOS is an IDE driver that works
> with
> my Si3112 Serial ATA controller. This controller works fine with
> FreeBSD's IDE driver and the only thing specific to the controller in
> that driver is the Vendor/Device IDs.

Patching the Thomas's IDE replacement driver available on BeBits should
do the
trick here.
Using our new brand (but beta ;-) ) OBOS DiskProbe tool; open his
genericpci binary, and
looks after "find_devices" symbol start adress (0x1cd8, should be below
because AFAIK
Thomas didn't change this part so I guess it's still a big switch
(vendor_id << 16 | device_id) that detect (or not) a supported
controler. Let's see...

Yeah, for example at genericpci 0x1d31, you will see "68 4d 5a 10",
which stand for
Promise PDC20268 IDE controlers full PCI ID (vendor = 0x105a, device =
0x4d68).
Several "xx 4d 5a10" promise device IDs are near there, too.

HighPoint controlers family ID is at offset 0x1d82 (04 00 03 11 =
vendor 0x1103, device (family) = 0x0004).
Try to borrow one of this IDs (asusme it's compatible) and install your
Si3112 PCI IDs...

Dont forget to make a copy of genericpci file before, it's a risky
business.
;-)

> The "Replacement IDE Driver" available on BeBits does not appear to
> be
> open source. I tried e-mailing the author and received no response.
> Is
> source for this available anywhere?

Some Be's R5 reverse engineering was involved in this driver
development, hence the final close source stance.

> There's also this: http://sourceforge.net/projects/beos-idedriver
>
> But it appears to be pretty stale.

Indeed, it was the project I started long ago just weeks before Thomas
joined and them make me blind for hours seeing his coding skills and
progress speed. :-)
Thomas eventually finished this project all on his own because I was
clearly of no help, and as we encounter this little "reverse
engineering" issue on the path, the result became his closed source IDE
replacement driver available at BeBits.

> Does anybody know if it ever worked,

The version available on beos-idedriver is a really early version of
Thomas's final driver version.
I'm not even sure he don't rewrote major part of the code!
Anyway, at this time, I got some positive report thru BeShare, so maybe
even this obsolete and incomple version may works...

- Philippe

--
Fortune Cookie Says:

Drew's Law of Highway Biology:
        The first bug to hit a clean windshield lands directly in front
of your eyes.