[haiku] Re: [OT] Could some mentor give me some pointers regarding GSOC?

  • From: Andre Alves Garzia <soapdog@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2012 18:34:07 -0200

Thanks Ryan and all for the replies,

The case for Enyo is that it is a complete stack for application development. Answering some questions posted earlier in the thread. Enyo 1.0 was not cross-platform, it was aimed at WebKit and it would not work well under a different rendering engine. Enyo 1.0 is more than a fancy js library to help with DOM nodes and organization, it is an elegant stack that includes a whole set of controls and objects that are easy to assemble into fully functional apps. Just remember that all applications for webOS are built with Javascript (most touchpad apps are Enyo while in the Pre world there is both Enyo and Mojo).

Enyo 2.0 is yet to include the UI elements from Enyo 1.0. That is why when you look at the web site you see a library that is similar to mooTools. When the new UI layer is released (this month), then it will become a very different beast and more suited for mobile and web app development.The Enyo developer guide at http://developer.palm.com has a lot of Aha moments that made a very good impression on me while I was learning. I enjoy working with JQuery when building websites but for web based applications, I think Enyo is my favorite framework.

I asked for feedback here because we all know that Haiku made a great work with the GSOC even though, from the point-of-view of many, it is a small alternative OS. Many would like resources to be poured on Linux only but we all here know the strenghts of Haiku and how great it is to have a clear, usable system with an elegant API. Enyo provokes the same fellings on me and I think that webOS is the best mobile OS that I've used so far.

So, if I could get people from Team Enyo to prepare some proposal for GSOC, would some mentor here agree to take a look and give some feedback. The open source version of Enyo is young and Haiku devs knows all the trails to a good relationship with the GSOC organization and how to build a great community. My idea is just to exchange good advise.

Cheers
andre

On 2/8/12 4:25 AM, Ryan Leavengood wrote:
On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 11:04 PM, lodewijk andré de la porte
<lodewijkadlp@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
Why is this framework interesting? What development should be done?
Honestly many would say the same thing about Haiku as an OS (and many do.)

Though I admit I am quite amused by the proliferation of JavaScript
frameworks these days, it is getting quite laughable. I feel like I
hear of a new one each day. Enyo at least has some significant
applications which make use of it in the form of all the WebOS apps.
Despite what happened with the TouchPad and WebOS, I have heard many
good things about WebOS.

To try to answer the original question, I think that Enyo has as tough
a case with Google as it does with any JavaScript developers: why
should they choose it over any of the 40 other JavaScript frameworks?
It originally being developed by HP for WebOS may actually be a
detriment in getting Google to sponsor it in GSoC. Why should they
sponsor it over other "pure" open source JS frameworks? I'm just
playing devil's advocate, and again a lot of the above could be said
for Haiku, which is why I imagine you emailed here :)

So to improve your chances you need to have a really nice detailed
idea list for GSoC projects. You need to have documentation that helps
a GSoC student get started quickly. You need to have a good list of
dedicated mentors who know Enyo very well and who have the time to
actually properly mentor students. Being a mentor in GSoC is a lot of
work. I did it for many years for both Haiku and Ruby, and I've
decided it isn't for me this year (and maybe not ever again.) Make
sure your mentors know what they are getting into. I can safely say
that generally it would cost you less time to do the work yourself
than to mentor a student. So DO NOT view GSoC as "free labor." The
idea is to help students get into open source and MAYBE you get some
projects done and MAYBE you gain new contributors, but probably not.