[haiku] Re: [OT] Could some mentor give me some pointers regarding GSOC?

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2012 01:25:34 -0500

On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 11:04 PM, lodewijk andré de la porte
<lodewijkadlp@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Why is this framework interesting? What development should be done?

Honestly many would say the same thing about Haiku as an OS (and many do.)

Though I admit I am quite amused by the proliferation of JavaScript
frameworks these days, it is getting quite laughable. I feel like I
hear of a new one each day. Enyo at least has some significant
applications which make use of it in the form of all the WebOS apps.
Despite what happened with the TouchPad and WebOS, I have heard many
good things about WebOS.

To try to answer the original question, I think that Enyo has as tough
a case with Google as it does with any JavaScript developers: why
should they choose it over any of the 40 other JavaScript frameworks?
It originally being developed by HP for WebOS may actually be a
detriment in getting Google to sponsor it in GSoC. Why should they
sponsor it over other "pure" open source JS frameworks? I'm just
playing devil's advocate, and again a lot of the above could be said
for Haiku, which is why I imagine you emailed here :)

So to improve your chances you need to have a really nice detailed
idea list for GSoC projects. You need to have documentation that helps
a GSoC student get started quickly. You need to have a good list of
dedicated mentors who know Enyo very well and who have the time to
actually properly mentor students. Being a mentor in GSoC is a lot of
work. I did it for many years for both Haiku and Ruby, and I've
decided it isn't for me this year (and maybe not ever again.) Make
sure your mentors know what they are getting into. I can safely say
that generally it would cost you less time to do the work yourself
than to mentor a student. So DO NOT view GSoC as "free labor." The
idea is to help students get into open source and MAYBE you get some
projects done and MAYBE you gain new contributors, but probably not.

--
Regards,
Ryan