[openbeos] Re: OS Zoo

  • From: "Nev" <Nev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 10:18:00 +0800

Michael

As a keen follower of the development of Haiku when do you think a normal run of the mill end user like me might see
something that we can work with.

Thanks
Nev

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Phipps" <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
On 2006-01-29 at 21:30:51 [-0500], Mat Hounsell wrote:
OS Zoo got a mention on OS News today.
OS Zoo hosts qemu images of free operating systems, some still pre -release
like Haiku.
That's were I got a ReactOS image that reale piqued my interest.

Since we have qemu images it might get us a lot more interest, especially
from those who think it is still a pipe dream.

http://free.oszoo.org/submit.html

Submission Guidelines

Every contribution is really much appreciated, but it would be better to
follow some guidelines in order to provide a standard way to collect,
distribute and use the images.
Creation Rules

* Create a large disk image. 10 GB should be enough. Even if large, the
image file will occupy just the dimension of the data present in it (thanks
to the qcow format), so after creation the image, even if large, will be just
a few Kb
* Use the qcow format for the images: qemu-img create -f qcow image.img
10G
* After creating the image, create a compressed clone of the image:
qemu-img convert -f qcow -c image.img -O qcow image_compressed.img
* Rename the compressed image. Use something appropriate (for example,
openbsd_3.8.img)
* Put the image inside a directory having the same name of the image.
Create a README file and fill it with your name, email, date, notes (don't
forget to add root password and other information you think users should know)
* Tar the directory but DO NOT COMPRESS it again. The tar file should be
named as the directory (i.e.: openbsd_3.8.tar). If you want you can add a
timestamp in the format yyyymmdd (i.e.:openbsd_3.8_20051001.tar)

Submission Rules

* Please, DO NOT SUBMIT OPERATING SYSTEMS that can't be redistributed!
* Create a .torrent file for the file you've just created. Be suse to use
http://www.oszoo.org:6969/announce as tracker.
* Send the .torrent file as attachment to marinell@xxxxxxxxxxx . Please,
DO
NOT SEND IMAGES as attachment, even if small
* Wait for the confirmation. The .torrent will be manually added to the
tracker so it may take some time. Once done you'll be authorized, start
sharing the file using the oszoo tracker. The seeder on the oszoo server will
immediately start to download and reshare the file.
* After being checked, the image will be published on the oszoo server and
you'll be credited as creator and maintainer of that image

http://haiku-os.org/

http://matgeekau.blogspot.com/
http://matgeekaupolitcial.blogspot.com/

Never miss an Instant Message - Yahoo! Messenger for SMS
http://au.mobile.yahoo.com/mweb/index.html