[openbeos] Re: OS Zoo

  • From: Michael Phipps <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 21:14:29 -0500

I saw the posting on OSNews, too. And it sounds like a good idea. But, as Axel
and Marcus said, not now.

To be honest, even the unofficial builds are a little scary. Because we want to
be different. Like Be was different. Did you ever get a Be release that showed
poor quality? Not that you weren't happy with the features or something, but
that crashed all the time? Or where you sort of shook your head and asked
yourself if anyone looked at it before it went out?

To be honest, we have all seen other OSs that were pretty sorry in their
shipped state. No one is really innocent. It is pretty easy to point fingers,
for example, at Windows ME or Mac OS 6 multi-finder. Open source has not much
better track record, to be honest. There have been lots of cases where OSS
stuff has stunk up the place. Haiku should be better than that. We should
release something that makes people say "WOW! Where did that come from? Where
can we get more!?!?!?!?!" That is our vision. That's why we don't have a
"release candidate .0001alpha". We could. There are lots of OSS systems out
there that aren't as good as Haiku is today. But we want to do something
better. :-) I know that it is hard to be patient. Probably no one is more
impatient than I. :-D But anticipation makes the wait worth while.

Michael