[openbeos] Re: OHCI/FireWire-support in (Open)BeOS?

  • From: "Gregor Rosenauer" <rosenauer@xxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 13:02:07 +0200 CEST

François wrote:

> That's because AVI files aren't supposed to be larger than 1GB.
Wasn't this 2GB? (like the FAT32-limit) . Anyway, too small... time for a new
(non-MS and well documented) container-format... I think I read the next-gen
DivX-format will use a new container...?
MPEG would be better, but is lossy and needs much CPU-power /
hardware-support... oh well - it's quite bizarre when a Petabyte-OS cannot
capture files larger than 1 GB......

> I have a OHCI card (Canopus ADVC1394) and although BeOS recognises it
wow... a glimpse of hope:) I wonder why Canopus is so under-represented, they
build the best video-cards out there, and support is ways better than
Pinnacle's...

> as a DV device it doesn't work for capturing from analog sources (it
> has 2 inputs, DV and analog).
hmmm... the ACEDvio handles this transparently AFAIK (switching automatically
to analog-capture when detecting an analog signal), so I may be lucky... (I
also have no DV-equipment, and I'm quite happy with my Sony Hi8-camera)

I'll let you know.

thanks for the info,
Gregor