[openbeos] Re: OBOS new name

  • From: "Michael Phipps" <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2002 12:31:46 -0400

>On Sat October 26 2002 02:27, Michael Phipps wrote:
>> OK... But *WAY* more people speak english than latin. And they will draw
>> the same conclusion that I did.
>>
>> >man again NOVA means NEW in LATIN!!!!! your dictionary shows you the
>> > meaning from English Language!!!! NOVA is LATIN!!!!! and refears new
>> > thing that apear..that are created..it neans NEW!!!
>> >
>> >regards
>

>I'm sorry to go against you Michael, but any English speaker who is
>at all literate outside of "man" pages knows that Nova means new.

First off, disagreeing with me is fine. At least 40% of people in the community
have disagreed with any decision ever made, by me or others.

Some people know that the root of nova is new. I will agree with you there. But
that is rarely the first, or most obvious meaning to anyone. When I think nova,
I think astronomy. Then I think PBS, then I think new.

And, as others have said, I do certainly realize that there are others out
there for whom english is not their native lanuage. But nova is a little
different than nuevo. nouveau, neu or nuovo. (ahh, the power of Babelfish). ;-)

>I can only hope that your view of Nova has been influenced by the
>PBS series of said name.  Of course, having a science show named
>Nova might introduce some trademark issues on top of the already
>observed confusion over meaning.   [Has it ocurred to no-one to
>ask why they chose the names of Nova for PBS, Nova for a birth
>of a star, and SuperNova for the flashy death of a star?    And, what
>happens when OpenBeOS "Nova" R2 comes out?  Is it the SuperNova
>version?

No, it would be (theoretically) Nova R1 and Nova R2 and Nova R3.

>BTW, I was pretty disappointed by your final candidates.   Why didn't
>you consult with a few folks like us on the this list?

Do you think that we pulled these out of a vacuum?
We culled the top one hundred or so from the 3000. The admin team picked their
top 15. Those are what you see.

>I attempted to vote for Indigo, the only good name, despite knowing
>that SGI would obviously have reasons to object.   Yet, how do I know
>if my vote has been tallied??  Suddenly, I'm feeling transformed into a
>geriatric voter in Dade County, Florida, United Crooks of America.

Did you get an email?
Unfortunately, SF is really sucking, here.