[openbeos] Re: OBOS new name

  • From: "Joachim Seemer" <j.seemer@xxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2002 10:44:33 CEST (+0200)

> From: "Bruno G. Albuquerque" <bga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 09:39:50 EDT (-0200)

> It should be immediate, but we are talking about the SF servers here.
> :) I may tell you that there are more than 1000 votes that were not
> confirmed yet, so I would guess they're still queued for delivery.

You know, this name voting may have an interesting side effect: We'll get a
 good picture how many users out there do still care enough about BeOS to be
 concerned about its name.

After having read the name list I was first, as many, quite underwhelmed. But
 as others have stated, the names grow on you. There are serveral I could be
 quite happy with. And, speaking as a non-native English speaker, don't be too
much
 concerned with the actual sense of the name. It's also much about the sound of
 a word. "Mantis" e.g. just sounds pretty cool to me and it can be properly and
 consistantly pronounced in many languages. While I know what a Mantis is, and
 though it doesn't really inspire cuddling feelings in me..., I immediatly
 thought it has a cool ring to it. There are many products named after things
that
 nobody connect anymore to the origin. Take "Lotus", "The Beatles", "Corel" or
 ...er.... "Penthouse". There are no doubt tons more I just cannot think of.
I'd strongly advice against putting the actual animal, should "Mantis" or
 "Firefly" come out as winners, prominently into the logo. The official logo
should
 be businesslike and no-nonsense as you don't want to give professionals the
 feeling they work with a geek OS of some crazy adolescent hackers.
There is potential for some nice mascotts however. How about "Bob the Preying
 Mantis"? I could imagine a nice comic strip  :)

After the initial small disappointment reading the list, I'd say
"Well done! Now where's the OS to the name? :)"

cu
J.Seemer